Welcome to Indieseek.xyz, this is a little general directory of the web. We are not trying to replace your search engine or index the whole web. We hope you will use us either at the very beginning of your search quest, at the end or just when you are bored. We are like the Tiny Little Library along the sidewalk in your town, or maybe the small neighborhood branch library, we don’t have everything but we might have something interesting. Or you can donate a link to the catalog and help it grow! 🙂 Because, frankly, we can’t do this alone. We do need you to help by adding your own site or any site you really like.
We list both individual web pages of note and whole websites. We prefer to list sites made by individuals rather than those owned by big corporations. That means we really like blogs, photoblogs, podcasts, and non-corporate static sites. The search engines are full of Big Brand websites, we like the quality lesser known sites.
Anyone can submit a page and/or a website or more. Guidelines. We have tried to make it as easy a process as possible. There is no charge, but we can’t promise to list every site submitted.
Indieseek.xyz is not owned or operated by Indieweb.org. We see our roll as parallel to theirs. We are taking on a small part of the discovery (ie. discovery of websites) mission of the Independent Web. The Indieweb wants people to start their own blogs and websites to make the Web the social network and bring back the Fun. Indieseek.xyz wants to index those sites and help the public find them.
- This might be the first web directory with some Indieweb.org features. The site is WordPress with Indieweb elven goodness and a full powered directory script fused together. It’s not perfect, but it is the best I could do off the shelf.
- As you can see on our homepage I’m pushing the search feature so there is just a search box.
- If you like browsing down through topic categories the Directory page has those. Browse away.
- At the bottom of the listings in each is another search box to refine your search.
- We list individual pages. So if you have one post or article that is outstanding, please submit it.
- We list whole websites.
- Listings can appear in more than one category if they apply.
- If your site has an RSS feed you can add that. (Optional). The “Detail” page of the listing will show the last 5 items on the feed. This gives the searcher a chance to sample some of your posts. (Updates every 12 hours.)
- Listings have a generous space for Descriptions. Sometimes websites and blogs are about lots of things, we want webmasters to have a chance to convey what the site is about. If I’m adding a listing, I don’t have time to really describe all it’s virtues and features, but nobody knows your site better than you so you should add your own site.
- Beta: Users can rate listings.
- Beta: Every listing (be it page or website) has a place to leave comments.
- No advertising. Later, if I build more sites, we might add simple banners to cross promote them, plus promote causes like Indieweb, EFF, /e/ and such.
- All listings are free. There is no review fee. We never require reciprocal links. All I ask is when you submit a site, do your best to describe it and what it’s about.
- You can submit any site, even a site that is not yours.
- You don’t even have to leave your email address to add a site.
I’m sure there are things I’m missing or have forgotten, but poke around and you will find them.
Don’t forget to bookmark us and tell a friend. Thanks.
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.